Are you worried about your teen’s computer use?
If your teen is like many other teens around the world, they probably spend a good deal of time on the internet or computer. In fact, teens are spending more and more time on the web. Check out these statistics below:
- 73% of teens (12-17) have profiles on social networking sites.
- 93% of teens ages 12-17 go online.
- 47% of teens (12-17) have uploaded photos; 14 % have posted videos.
- 69% of teens regularly receive personal messages online from people they do not know.
- Nearly one in 10 teens (8%) has posted his or her cell phone number online.
- 25% of teens say their parents know “little” or “nothing” about what they do online.
- 8% of teens say they actually have met in person with someone from the Internet
Do you know what your teen is doing online?
If you are not sure what your teen does while online you may consider these scary facts:
- 1 in 25 youths received an online sexual solicitation where the solicitor tried to make offline contact.
- In more than one-quarter (27%) of incidents, solicitors asked youths for sexual photographs of themselves.
- 1 in 3 teens (12-17) have experienced online harassment.
- Girls are more likely to be victims of cyberbullying (38% girls vs. 26% boys).
- 27% of teens (12-17) play games with people they don’t know online.
- Nearly a third of teens (31%) say they usually reply and chat with people they do not know.
- Only 21% tell a trusted adult when they receive such messages.
What can you do?
Fortunately there are products on the market today to help keep track of who your teen is talking to online as well as the sites they are visiting. One such product is the Recover IT PC Monitor. Recover It PC Monitor allows you to search for illicit use of a PC including online chatting and visits to pornographic sites. Search your entire computer for chat logs from the most used messaging sites. Uncover the source of porn site visits and locate suspected pornographic images. This stick even scans deleted images and Internet cache files.
Having the Recover It handy at home can give you peace of mind in knowing that your child is not a victim of cyber bullying, harassment, or being targeted by online sexual predators.